Prime Exmoor Retail Premises and Gallery Business with 2 x Holiday Apartments
- Central Exmoor village centre trading location
- Located opposite Lynton and Lynmouth Town Hall, close to Cliff Railway
- Triple fronted shop unit of circa 1,100 sq.ft (102 sq.m)
- Trading areas over three floors
- Business established in 1893 and in same ownership for last 25 years
- 2 x holiday apartments, suitable for rental income or owners accommodation
- Third apartment available, currently utilised as storage
- Training period available if desired
THE ACCOMMODATION (comprises)
TRIPLE FRONTED SHOP
Internal frontage 9.6m (31'6"), being L-Shaped with maximum Depth 7.92m (26'0")
The shop is configured into various sections as follows:
MAIN RETAIL AREA
9' x 31'6" (2.74m x 9.6m)
FURTHER GALLERY AREA
8'4" x 26'1" (2.54m x 7.95m)
REAR INNER GALLERY RETAIL AREA
17'2" x 11'6" (5.23m x 3.5m)
MAIN PROPRIETORS WORK AREA
16'2" x 12'4" (4.93m x 3.76m) With intercommunicating access to rear inner gallery area as mentioned above and also access to rear hallway. With door to outside and stairs to lower ground floor.
FIRST FLOOR GALLERY
25'5" x 9'4" (7.75m x 2.84m)
LOWER GROUND FLOOR
(Garden Level) A former apartment now used for storage purposes briefly comprising:
31' x 10'6" (9.45m x 3.2m)
MAIN FRAMING STORAGE AREA
13' x 12'9" (3.96m x 3.89m)
FURTHER STORAGE AREA
(Former kitchen) 12'11" x 13'2" (3.94m x 4.01m)
FURTHER STORAGE AREA 2
(Formerly a lounge) 26' x 13'2" (7.92m x 4.01m) With door to outside rear enclosed courtyard.
Self contained rear entrance from patio garden with ground floor hallway and stairs leading to:-
Landing with lounge 14'7" x 11'8" (4.45m x 3.56m) for private owners use with adjoining en-suite cloakroom
Apartment number 1
11'11" x 13'4" (3.63m x 4.06m) Radiator
6'1" x 12'5" (1.85m x 3.78m) Eye and base units, worktops, tiled floor, tiled splash back, radiator
6'1" x 6'4" (1.85m x 1.93m) With three piece suite and radiator
12'4" x 11' (3.76m x 3.35m) Radiator
Apartment number 2
14'8" x 12' (4.47m x 3.66m) Radiator
11'4" x 15'5" (3.45m x 4.7m) Radiator
With two piece suite and radiator
9'9" x 11' (2.97m x 3.35m) Radiator
12' x 13' (3.66m x 3.96m) Eye and base units, worktops, tiled floor, sky light
11' x 19'10" (3.35m x 6.05m) Sky light and radiator
To the rear far reaching views are enjoyed of the village. Whilst there is no parking with the property there is off street parking available nearby. The current owner also rents a garage nearby which could be available with separate negotiation.
To the rear of the property is a patio garden with rockery and floral borders. There is also rear access onto the main village car park.
Having been in the trade for many years we have established good connections in the finance sector. Our association with these Banks and Commercial Brokers mean that we are able to offer you introductions to competitive finance packages, for a new purchase or refinance purposes alike. Whether it is initial advice on your likely purchase level or if you are at the point of making an offer, you will often be able to achieve preferential rates, possibly saving you thousands of pounds. Please call for more information.
JD Commercial for themselves, and for the Vendors of this property whose Agents they are, give notice that:
- The Particulars are set out in general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. Prospective purchasers should seek their own professional advice.
- All descriptions, dimensions and areas, references to condition and necessary permissions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchaser should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact and must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them.
- No person in the employment of JD Commercial has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of JD Commercial, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendors.
- No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by any intending purchaser in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
Property Misdescriptions Act 1993
- All measurements are approximate.
- While we endeavour to make our sales particulars accurate and reliable, if there is any point which is of particular importance to you, please contact JD Commercial and we will be pleased to check the information for you, particularly if contemplating travelling some distance to view the property.
- We do our utmost to comply with this Act in full. However we are also trying to represent our clients’ properties in their high possible light, as such we may use summer photographs to promote some properties.
By strict appointment through the selling Agents, JD Commercial, 42 Ridgeway Drive, Bideford, North Devon. EX39 1TW
TEL: (01237) 424053 / 07868 846357 E-MAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Lynton and Lynmouth have a static population of 1,658, but benefit from the considerable holiday trade in the area. The regional centre of Barnstaple is approximately 25 miles. Access to the M5 via Junction 27 at Tiverton is approx. 35 miles distant.
The subject property is within a prime and central trading location, opposite Lynton and Lynmouth Town Council offices and close to the entrance to the unique Lynton and Lynmouth Cliff railway. The property has an extensive frontage on the main arterial road through the village, Lee Road.
THE PROPERTY AND CONSTRUCTION
The property was originally constructed as a Victorian hotel and was built by the Jones Brothers, later responsible for the famous Lynton and Lynmouth funicular cliff railway, with the art gallery being founded by George Gunn in 1893. Being of three storey construction under a pitched tiled roof the substantial property is currently configured as an art gallery of approximately 1,100 sq.ft (102 sq.m) with an extensive triple window frontage and retail areas over three floors. Within the premises are two self contained apartments (one x 1 bedroom, one x 2 bedrooms) which our clients currently holiday let although these could be utilised as owners accommodation if desired. Each apartment has independent central heating and the whole property has a fire alarm system. There is also scope for a third apartment at garden level, which our clients currently utilise for storage purposes. To the rear is a patio garden with rear access from the main car park in the village centre.
Our clients are inviting offers for the Freehold interest.
Our client operates the business predominantly as an art gallery selling original art work from a wide range of UK artists. Ancillary income comes from an online Ebay shop as well as the undertaking of picture framing. There is a valuable online website www.gunnsgallery.co.uk which has approximately 6,500 images of art work to choose from and this attracts buyers from all over the UK. The latest yearend accounts provide a turnover of £120,000 with a net profit of approximately £50,000, although it should be stressed that our client operates the business to meet his own financial needs including operating just 9 months of the year. This is a genuine retirement sale by our client who has been in occupation for some 25 years and operates the business as a single proprietor with one part time member of staff as and when required.
Any current stock to be purchased at valuation upon completion.
The property is sold with an inventory of trade fixtures, fittings and equipment.
ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE
Please contact the agents for a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate and Recommendation Report.